7 ounces butter (Miyoko’s or Faba Butter preferred)
89 g dark brown sugar
150 g molasses
2 t gingerbread or pumpkin spice blend
12 ounces flour
zest & juice of 1 lemon
142 grams powdered sugar
21 grams agave syrup (or preferred liquid sweetener)
14 g melted coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat the oven to 350. Cream the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment. Add sugar and molasses; continue beating on medium until fully incorporated.
2. Add the spice blend, then the flour in three parts, waiting until each batch is fully blended in before adding the next. The dough is ready when it’s becoming a ball around the paddle.
3. Form the dough into a block, around an inch thick, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for at least an hour in the fridge. When it’s chilled, roll it out to your desired thickness between two sheets of parchment.
4. Bake the cookies on parchment-lined sheets for 12 minutes. Let cool.
5. While the cookies are cooling, whisk together all the icing ingredients (an adaptation of this King Arthur recipe). Once smooth, glaze or drizzle the cookies.